Skip to main content

Natural Awakenings

Nordic Order: Sweden Running Out of Garbage

Mar 29, 2013 11:18AM

Sweden’s successful recycling program ensures that only 4 percent of the country’s waste ends up in landfills, while the other 96 percent is reused. But this means incinerators that burn waste to create heat and electricity are running short on fuel. As a solution, Sweden has recently begun to import about 800,000 tons of trash every year from other European countries, most of it from neighboring Norway, which finds it a cost-effective option.

Find details at

Subscribe to our national newsletter!

* indicates required
Global Brief
Health Brief