Skip to main content

Natural Awakenings

Button Batteries Imperil Bambinos: Caution to Parents

Nov 26, 2013 12:44PM

Button-type lithium batteries are all around us, powering remote controls, keyless entry devices for cars, flameless candles, watches, greeting cards and other devices. Parents should be aware that these batteries are attractive to small children and if swallowed, can dissolve and cause serious damage to the esophagus in as little as two hours.

The National Safety Council reports that the number of children swallowing these batteries quadrupled between 2005 and 2010, to 3,400 cases, yet 62 percent of parents are unaware of the danger.

Subscribe to our national newsletter!

* indicates required
Interests
Global Brief
Health Brief